I know a lot of people have issues when coming home to their parents’ houses. I used, too, as well, until I realized that a lot of these issues were me not accepting my mom for who she is, and trying to make her into something she’s not. It also helped that we had a frank conversation where I told her I didn’t want to be treated as a guest, but more as, well, a daughter. But now, I think we get along quite well; it’s gone from 3 days being my maximum at the house before wanting to run home, to just over a week. I think that’s a fantastic improvement.
Granted, I watch more reality TV in the 5 days I’m here than I do the entire rest of the month. It used to drive me crazy that she had the TV on all. the. time. But, I threatened to buy her a pair of wireless earphones one summer, as she tends to have the volume up rather loud. When her birthday came around and I asked what she might want, she said, “Oh, I thought you were going to buy me those earphones…” Done! It’s actually made quite an improvement: she can listen to her shows during the day while I’m on my conference calls or watching my own TV shows.
Here are many reasons why I love staying at my mom’s:
- She always makes sure the heated blanket is on my bed when I come into town
- She has a hottub and makes sure it’s ready for when I come into town
- Her dog and mine get along famously, and she has a large back yard and a doggie door. No, mom, I am still not taking your dog home with me…
- She always makes me deviled eggs (see above)! Also, she just showed me a fantastic trick that may solve my incapability to peel a boiled egg: she uses a teaspoon – genius!
- She offers to record all my shows for me so I can watch them in my room
- She keeps a guest room for me (although I’m sharing it with my niece tonight)
- Grilled Cheese sandwiches
- She is always supportive of my mid day naps
- She always asks what kind of crazy diet [my words, not hers] I’m on now, and helps get the kitchen stocked for me
- She’s even gone and shopped and cooked recipes I picked out when I was in town for 48 hours
- Did I mention she has a hottub?
Love you, mom.